Head Injury Treatment
Head injuries are common problems that many people experience. Typically, this refers to any type of injury that happens to the scalp, skull, or brain. There are different types of TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), starting from a small bump on the head to concussions.
In serious cases, people suffer from long-term disabilities. Many get lifelong disabilities through TBI every year. Depending on the type of injury and the severity, doctors offer their treatment plans after careful analysis.
Multiple certified specialists in India handle TBI cases, including the experienced and verified Dr. Himanshu Gupta in Jaipur. He and other expert neurosurgeons handle different types of head injury cases. They are trained to treat close and open head wounds; the latter involves elements piercing the brain tissue of the victim through the skull and scalp.
What is Traumatic Brain Injury?
Traumatic Brain Injury happens due to a jolt, blow, or bump on the head which affects brain functions drastically. The more serious reasons for TBI include harsh damage to the head with a hard object or if something penetrates through the skull into the brain tissue. Common symptoms that suggest you need to visit the best Neurosurgeon in Jaipur are:
- Lowered degree or a total loss of consciousness
- Completely altered mental state, including difficulty in concentrating, disorientation, or labored thinking
- Neurological deficits like vision loss, speech problems, or weakening muscles
- Amnesia or loss of memory after a traumatic brain injury or before.
To note, the symptoms of TBI can vary in intensity. Very serious conditions can lead to coma, long periods of consciousness loss, or death. Either way, visit a verified neurosurgeon like Dr. Himanshu Gupta and set your appointment even if your case is not emergent.
Common Causes of Head Injury
Two prevalent situations can cause head injury: bumps or blows. Intense shaking can also harm the head region in certain cases, often as a consequence of another medical condition like an apoplectic fit. Common causes, though, include:
- Vehicular accident on the road
- Physical assaults
- Injuries from sporty activities
Many non-fatal TBI cases occur 35% from falls, 17% from getting hit by an object, and 17% from vehicular accidents in the United States alone.
How to Diagnose Head Injury?
The best neurosurgeon in Jaipur you go to like Dr. Gupta would handle many diagnostic tests to see the extent of the TBI. Typically, first responders handle preliminary testing during an emergency.
Common diagnostic tests specialists like Dr. Himanshu Gupta conduct include:
- CT Scanning- The Computerized Tomography tests occur inside emergency rooms when the neurologist or ER professionals suspect a TBI. Here, a series of X-ray scans build a detailed brain picture. Common things a CT scan can detect include blood clots, brain hemorrhage, contusions, and swelling inside the brain.
- X-rays- For Head Injury Treatment neurosurgeons use X-rays which involve electromagnetic energy beams that create a visual image of the internal organs and brain tissue.
- MRI test- Another important test here is MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scanning which works with magnets and radio waves for brain imaging. This is suitable after the condition for the patient becomes more stable.
- EEG- The Electroencephalogram (EEG) works to record the ongoing electrical activity inside the brain through electrodes that stick to the scalp.
- Intracranial pressure monitor- In case the brain tissue swells up, that can cause more pressure inside the patient’s skull. This, in turn, harms the brain’s health. Here, neurologists use a probe to penetrate through the skull and monitor said pressure.
Treatments for TBI
There are multiple types of Head Injury Treatment in Jaipur that expert doctors like Dr. Gupta performs. However, they differ in the context of the main cause. Here are some examples.
These are mild types of TBI and do not typically need specialized care. Some rest and important healthcare rules should help. Dr. Himanshu Gupta and any neurosurgeon would suggest keeping most activities slow at this point to give time to the brain to heal.
Take many tests and avoid habits like drinking alcohol which would harm the healing process.
Here, a trained Neurosurgeon in Jaipur like Dr. Gupta conducts specific surgical procedures to treat the brain or scalp. Steps here include:
- Skull fracture removal- The Neurosurgeon in Jaipur would remove the remaining skull fracture pieces from the brain tissues after an accident to avoid extra harm.
- Removing pools of blood/clots- In case of internal cranial bleeding, clotting is common causing conditions like a hematoma. Dr. Himanshu Gupta performs surgical procedures to drain the swelling, clots, or blood from the region carefully.
- Relieving intracranial pressure- Neurosurgeons monitor the ICP of the patient to check the internalized pressure from blood or swelling after skull damage. In certain cases, they insert a shunt inside the skull after burying a small hole to remove excess brain fluids or pressure.
Neurology specialists also offer prescriptions with different medications that can relieve the pressure from a head injury. They properly check the reports of the patient to understand the medication that would work best for them, and even recommend physical therapy sessions.
Why Should You Contact Dr. Himanshu Gupta?
Among the best neurosurgeons in Jaipur, Dr. Himanshu Gupta is one of the best choices available. He holds valuable certification and credentials from reputed institutions, like MS, MBBS, and DNB in Neurosurgery. Furthermore, Dr. Gupta completed his fellowship in the field of neuro endoscopy and is a leading expert in spine and head injury treatment procedures.
The NSI member specialized in various treatments, mainly related to the spinal cord, brain, bony-spinal column, and skull. He holds expertise in advanced technologies and practices in neurosurgery and can handle cases from standard headaches to brain clot surgery.
Other treatments he has experience in handling include spinal back pain surgery, spinal neck pain surgery, disc replacement surgery, pain treatment for spinal cord injury and spinal trauma, and minimally invasive spine surgery.
Dr. Himanshu Gupta has handled many complex and regular cases related to brain and head injury over the years for patients, specifically in Jaipur. He focuses on individualized treatment plans and ensures the best quality care, before and after surgery, for his patients.
If you are looking for top-grade specialized healthcare after getting a head injury, contact Dr. Gupta. He would plan the best treatment plan for you and provide dedicated service from the beginning of the medical care till the end.