Most people go through back pain at least once during their lifetime. Although such back pains are temporary and resolve within a short time, some may be critical. People may experience intolerable aches and pains that hinders their daily life.
Also, you may resort to over-the-counter pain medications or home remedies to get relief from the sprains or stiff muscles. However, only specialized experts like Dr. Himanshu Gupta can rule out the reason for severe aches. Moreover, when non-surgical treatments do not work, some patients need to undergo Disc Replacement Surgery in Jaipur.
Symptoms of Disc Problems
Disk replacement is required when the patient feels excessive pain at any point of their spine, including the lower back. The symptoms of disc problems include:
- Excessive back pain without any improvement from medications
- Inability to move, walk or lift things
- Increasing back pain when bending or sitting for an extended period
- Coughing, sneezing, laughing cause increased back pain.
- Discomfort, numbness, or pins-and-needles may radiate into an arm or leg if the disc has irritated a nearby nerve.
Causes of Disc Problems
Discs are cushion-like structures that support and separate the bones of your spine. They also act as shock absorbers and also allow the spine to move. However, certain situations may cause them to strain or get irritated.
- Lifting hefty weights can stress the discs causing them to strain
- Disc disease can cause discs to degenerate
- The strain of impact on the discs can cause the outer shell to weaken and spill the inner fluid
Risk Factors of Disc Replacement Surgery
Similar to other surgeries, a disc replacement surgery in Jaipur comes with certain risks too. Also, this surgery requires more access to the spine than fusion surgery. Hence, some of the risk factors are:
- Infection of the artificial disc or its surrounding area
- The artificial disc becomes dislocated
- Fracture of the implant after the surgery
- Loosening or wearing of the artificial disc
- Because of the breakdown of spinal bones, the spine becomes narrower
- A dislodged disc may create other problems in the body
- Also, rigidity or stiffness of the spine
- In addition, the reduced activity causes blood clots in the legs
In addition, there may be problems if you have other medical conditions. Therefore, it is necessary for you to understand and evaluate the risks with the best surgeons like Dr. Himanshu Gupta.
Diagnosis of Disc Problems
The diagnosis of a problematic disc is carried out in a few ways.
- Medical History and Symptoms- The best Neurosurgeon in Jaipur, like Dr. Himanshu Gupta, examines the medical history and symptoms of the patient to:
- Identify the involvement of any spinal nerve
- Understand the location of your back pain
- Also, identify if certain activities make the pain worse
- Evaluate existing risk factors
- Nature of the pain (sharp, dull, achy)
- Physical Examination- Specialists like Dr. Himanshu Gupta conduct a physical examination of the patient to identify the cause first hand.
- Muscle strength- Doctors may perform neurological tests to see muscle strength and identify if a herniated disc has affected a nerve root.
- Reflex Test- Nerve root irritation can cause reflexes in the arms and legs to become sluggish. So, it can indicate a compressed nerve root in the spine if there is little reaction to the test.
- Myelogram or CT Scans- CT scans are imaging tests that use X-rays and a computer to generate a proper image of the spine.
- MRI- The spine's nerves and structure, including disc alignment, height, hydration, and configuration, can be studied by magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Discogram- When a surgical procedure is considered, a discogram is suggested to identify a painful disc.
Disc Replacement Surgery Treatment
The disc replacement surgery requires the patient to be ready for the procedure. A good candidate for the surgery will:
- Have back pain caused by one or two problematic discs
- No other disease of the joints
- Also, has no nerve compressed by the spinal bones
- No prior major surgery on the same area
- Has no deformity of the spine
- Has the weight under control
The surgical procedure needs the skilled hands of the best Neurosurgeon in Jaipur. Most disk replacement surgeries require two-three hours to take place. During the procedure, the surgeon makes an opening from the front part of the body to reach the spine. Also, the organs and other blood vessels are moved to one side to get a clear view of the problematic disc. The damaged disc is then taken out and replaced with an artificial disk. Moreover, this approach allows the surgeons to operate without touching the nerves on the back of the spine.
Why choose Dr. Himanshu Gupta?
Dr. Himanshu Gupta is a renowned neurosurgeon in Jaipur, with numerous qualifications and degrees from prestigious universities. He holds the degrees of MBBS, MS, and DNB in neurosurgery, among others. Moreover, Dr. Gupta has also worked as a neurosurgical consultant at Jaipur Indus Hospital. He has also done a fellowship in neuro endoscopy and has extensive experience with the brain and spine.
Dr. Gupta, one of the most well-known neurosurgeons, specializes in minimally invasive disc replacement surgery in Jaipur. He's also a distinguished member of the Neurosurgeon Institute (NSI). Besides, he was also a former senior registrar at Medanta- The Medicity in Gurugram. He is also skilled in back pain surgery, and spine neck pain surgery, among other things.
Most Asked Questions.
The disc replacement recovery period is about 3-5 weeks on average. However, recovery time for disc replacement surgery varies from patient to patient.
In India, the cost of disc replacement surgery is around five lakhs. Besides, the cost of care varies depending on the situation and treatment facility.
If you are looking for a trusted and experienced expert to conduct a disc replacement surgery, Dr. Himanshu Gupta should be your first choice. With quality care and advice, he has an excellent record of successful surgeries.